Incheon Airport to Seoul: AREX, Bus or Taxi? What I Recommend to First-Time Visitors
Incheon Airport to Seoul: AREX, Bus or Taxi? What I Recommend to First-Time Visitors
When foreign colleagues or friends visit Korea for the first time, one of the first questions they often ask me is surprisingly simple:
“What is the best way to get from Incheon Airport to Seoul?”
My answer is usually: it depends on where you are actually staying.
As someone who lives in Korea and uses Incheon International Airport regularly for conferences and overseas travel, I do not think there is one transportation option that is best for everyone.
The AREX train is fast and predictable. The airport bus can be much easier when you have luggage. A taxi is expensive, but sometimes it is absolutely worth the extra cost.
The important thing is not simply to ask:
“What is the fastest way to Seoul?”
A better question is:
“What is the easiest way from Incheon Airport to my hotel?”
That is how I would choose.
The Short Version: What Would I Choose?
If you do not want to read the whole article, this is my simple recommendation.
If I were traveling alone with one suitcase and staying near Seoul Station, I would take the AREX Express.
If I were staying around Hongdae, I would seriously consider the AREX All-Stop Train.
If I had two large suitcases and an airport bus stopped close to my hotel, I would probably take the bus.
If I were traveling with my family, several suitcases, or arriving very late at night, I would compare the taxi fare before deciding.
That is much more useful than simply saying, “The train is the best.”
Option 1: AREX Express Train
AREX stands for Airport Railroad Express.
The Express Train connects Incheon International Airport directly with Seoul Station without stopping at the regular stations along the way.
As of 2026, the journey takes approximately:
- 43 minutes from Incheon Airport Terminal 1 to Seoul Station
- 51 minutes from Terminal 2 to Seoul Station
The current one-way fare is ₩13,000.
The biggest advantage is not simply speed.
For me, the real advantage is predictability.
Seoul traffic can change dramatically depending on the time of day. A road journey that looks easy on a map can become frustrating during rush hour.
The train does not care about traffic.
If I had an important appointment in Seoul and wanted to know roughly when I would arrive, that reliability would matter to me.
But Seoul Station May Not Be Your Final Destination
This is something first-time visitors sometimes overlook.
The AREX Express takes you quickly to Seoul Station.
But your hotel may not be near Seoul Station.
If you are staying in Myeongdong, Gangnam, Hongdae, Jamsil, or another part of Seoul, you may still have another subway, bus, or taxi journey ahead of you.
That is especially important when you are carrying luggage.
A train journey may look extremely convenient on a map, but after a long international flight, transferring through a large station with two heavy suitcases feels very different in real life.
If you are unfamiliar with Seoul's subway system, our How to Use the Seoul Subway: A First-Time Visitor’s Guide will help.
Option 2: AREX All-Stop Train
The second rail option is the AREX All-Stop Train.
As the name suggests, it stops at regular stations between Incheon Airport and Seoul.
It is slower than the Express Train, but it is also much cheaper.
Current fares are approximately ₩4,150–₩4,750, depending on your journey.
For budget-conscious travelers, this is one of the best-value ways to reach Seoul.
But I think its real advantage is something else.
It may stop closer to where you actually want to go.
If You Are Staying in Hongdae, Look at This Option First
The AREX All-Stop Train serves Hongik University Station.
So if your hotel or guesthouse is in Hongdae, you may not need to travel all the way to Seoul Station and then come back again.
In that situation, the “slower” train can actually make your complete journey easier.
This is a good example of why I do not recommend choosing transportation simply by looking at the fastest airport-to-Seoul Station time.
You should look at the entire route:
Airport → Station → Hotel
not just:
Airport → Seoul Station
If you plan to use buses and subways after arriving in Seoul, you may also want to read our T-money Card in Korea Guide.
Option 3: Airport Limousine Bus
Many foreign visitors hear the words “limousine bus” and imagine something expensive or luxurious.
In Korea, it simply refers to a comfortable airport coach service.
And I think travelers sometimes underestimate how useful it can be.
Airport buses generally take around 60 to 80 minutes depending on the route and traffic, and fares vary by service.
The obvious disadvantage is traffic.
The less obvious advantage is luggage.
You put your suitcase underneath the bus.
You sit down.
And if the bus stops close to your hotel, there may be almost nothing else to do.
Why I Sometimes Prefer the Airport Bus
Imagine two journeys after a long flight.
The first journey is:
AREX → Seoul Station → find the correct subway line → find an elevator → transfer → walk to hotel
The second is:
Airport bus → get off → walk three minutes → hotel
On paper, the train might be faster.
In real life, I might choose the bus.
This becomes even more important if you are traveling with children, older family members, or large luggage.
For that reason, I always recommend checking whether an airport bus stop is close to your accommodation before automatically choosing AREX.
Option 4: Taxi
A taxi is by far the easiest option to understand.
You leave the airport.
Your luggage goes into the car.
You show the driver your hotel.
And you arrive at the door.
There are no transfers and no station corridors.
Of course, you pay for that convenience.
A taxi from Incheon Airport to central Seoul can cost several tens of thousands of won, depending on the exact destination, traffic, taxi type, and tolls.
For example, current official information gives an ordinary taxi estimate to Myeongdong of roughly ₩47,000–₩52,000, before the applicable airport expressway toll.
That is obviously much more than a train ticket for one person.
But the calculation changes when several people are traveling together.
If you are new to taxis in Korea, read our How to Take a Taxi in Seoul: A First-Time Visitor’s Guide.
One Person and Four People Should Not Make the Same Decision
This is something I always consider when comparing transportation costs.
One AREX Express ticket currently costs ₩13,000.
For four people:
₩13,000 × 4 = ₩52,000
And that may not be the end of the journey.
You may still need subway tickets or another taxi from Seoul Station to your hotel.
Suddenly, one taxi shared by four people does not look as unreasonable as it did when you compared it with one train ticket.
This does not mean a taxi is always cheaper.
It means you should compare the total cost for your group, not the cost for one passenger.
What If You Arrive Late at Night?
This is one situation where I would plan before boarding the flight to Korea.
Do not assume trains and regular airport buses operate all night.
Incheon Airport does have late-night bus services to several parts of Seoul, and current adult fares for some of these routes are around ₩17,000–₩18,000.
So arriving around midnight does not automatically mean you must take a taxi.
However, services are more limited, and the exact route may not be convenient for your hotel.
If your flight lands very late, I recommend checking three things before departure:
- Your expected immigration and baggage collection time
- The last useful train or airport bus
- The approximate taxi cost to your hotel
Having those three pieces of information removes a lot of stress after landing.
What Would I Choose for Hongdae?
If I were staying close to Hongik University Station and had manageable luggage, I would look at the AREX All-Stop Train first.
It is inexpensive and takes you directly to the Hongdae area without requiring you to travel through Seoul Station.
If the accommodation were far from the station or I had several heavy suitcases, I would compare the airport bus and taxi instead.
What Would I Choose for Myeongdong?
Myeongdong is less straightforward.
AREX gets you to Seoul Station quickly, but you still need to complete the final part of the journey.
If an airport bus stops near your hotel, I think the bus can be a very attractive option, especially with luggage.
For two or more people with heavy suitcases, I would also check the taxi price.
What Would I Choose for Gangnam?
Gangnam is a good example of why “AREX is fastest” can be misleading.
The Express Train gets you quickly to Seoul Station, but Gangnam is on the other side of Seoul.
You then need another substantial journey.
Depending on your exact hotel, an airport limousine bus or taxi may be much more comfortable.
Again, the question is not:
“How quickly can I reach Seoul Station?”
It is:
“How easily can I reach my hotel?”
A Note About Korean Money and T-money
Once you are in Seoul, a T-money card is extremely useful for buses and subways.
But I would not make buying or understanding every transportation card your first priority immediately after a long flight.
First, get yourself to the hotel.
Put down your luggage.
Then learn the system calmly.
For payment and cash information, see our How to Use Korean Money in Korea.
My Simple Rule for Choosing
If a foreign colleague asked me today which option to take, this is how I would answer.
Solo traveler with light luggage?
Check the train first.
Staying near Hongdae?
Check the AREX All-Stop Train.
Staying near Seoul Station?
The AREX Express is very convenient.
Heavy luggage and a bus stop close to the hotel?
Do not underestimate the airport bus.
Family or group of three or four?
Compare the total train cost with one taxi.
Very late arrival?
Check late-night buses and taxi prices before landing.
Completely exhausted after a long flight?
Sometimes paying more for a taxi is a perfectly reasonable decision.
There is no prize for choosing the cheapest route if it makes the first hour of your trip unnecessarily difficult.
Incheon Airport to Seoul: Common Questions
Is AREX the fastest way from Incheon Airport to Seoul?
The AREX Express is fast and predictable. It currently takes about 43 minutes from Terminal 1 and 51 minutes from Terminal 2 to Seoul Station. However, whether it is fastest to your hotel depends on where you stay.
How much is the AREX Express?
The current one-way fare is ₩13,000.
How much is the AREX All-Stop Train?
Current fares are approximately ₩4,150–₩4,750, depending on the journey.
Is the airport bus better than AREX?
Sometimes. If an airport bus stops close to your hotel and you have large luggage, I would often prefer the bus even if the train is slightly faster.
Is a taxi worth it from Incheon Airport?
For one traveler, it can be expensive. For a family or group sharing the fare, especially with several suitcases, it can be much more reasonable.
What is the cheapest practical option?
For many travelers, the AREX All-Stop Train is one of the cheapest and most practical ways to travel from Incheon Airport into Seoul.
What is the easiest option?
A taxi is usually the easiest door-to-door option. However, an airport bus that stops very close to your hotel can be nearly as convenient at a lower cost.
One Final Thought Before You Leave the Airport
When people visit Korea for the first time, they naturally want to make the “correct” choice.
But transportation is not an exam question.
The cheapest option is not always the best option.
The fastest option is not always the easiest option.
And the option another traveler recommends online may make no sense for your hotel.
So when you arrive at Incheon Airport, do not ask only:
“How do I get to Seoul?”
Ask:
“What will make the journey to my hotel easiest today?”
If you are traveling alone with a backpack, that answer may be the train.
If you are traveling with your family and four suitcases, it may be a taxi.
If a comfortable airport bus stops directly beside your hotel, that may be the smartest choice of all.
Korea gives you several good options.
Choose the one that lets your trip begin with the least unnecessary stress.
Continue Planning Your First Trip to Korea
- T-money Card in Korea: How to Buy, Recharge, and Use It Like a Local
- How to Use the Seoul Subway: A First-Time Visitor’s Guide
- How to Take a Taxi in Seoul: A First-Time Visitor’s Guide
- How to Use Korean Money in Korea
Next guide: Where to Stay in Seoul for First-Time Visitors: Myeongdong, Hongdae, Gangnam or Jongno?