Shopping in Korea: 15 Useful Korean Phrases for Tourists

Shopping in Korea: 15 Useful Korean Phrases for Tourists

You find something you like in a shop in Korea.

The price is easy enough to understand — but what happens when you need another size, want to try something on, or cannot find the color you want?

The good news is that you do not need much Korean to handle most shopping situations.

A few short phrases can take you through the entire process:

Check the price → Find your size → Try it on → Choose → Pay

Here are 15 practical Korean phrases that can make shopping in Korea much easier.

1. How Much Is This?

The first phrase to remember is:

이거 얼마예요?
igeo eolmayeyo?
How much is this?

이거 means “this,” and 얼마 means “how much.”

Simply point to the item and ask 이거 얼마예요?

You do not need to know the Korean name of the item.

2. I'll Take This One

Once you have decided to buy something, say:

이거 주세요.
igeo juseyo.
This one, please.

This is one of the most useful Korean phrases for travelers because it works in shops, cafés, restaurants, convenience stores, and many other situations.

If you are pointing to something farther away, you can say:

저거 주세요.
jeogeo juseyo.
That one, please.

3. Do You Have Another Size?

When shopping for clothes, ask:

다른 사이즈 있어요?
dareun saijeu isseoyo?
Do you have another size?

If you already know the size you want:

M 사이즈 있어요?
em saijeu isseoyo?
Do you have size M?

4. Asking for a Shoe Size

Shoe sizes in Korea are commonly shown in millimeters.

For example, if you are looking for size 240, you can simply ask:

240 있어요?
ibaeksasip isseoyo?
Do you have size 240?

If you plan to buy shoes in Korea, checking your Korean size before shopping can save time.

5. Do You Have Another Color?

Ask:

다른 색 있어요?
dareun saek isseoyo?
Do you have another color?

If you want a particular color, you can keep the sentence very simple:

검은색 있어요?
Do you have black?

흰색 있어요?
Do you have white?

파란색 있어요?
Do you have blue?

6. Can I Try This On?

For clothes, ask:

입어 봐도 돼요?
ibeo bwado dwaeyo?
Can I try this on?

For shoes:

신어 봐도 돼요?
sineo bwado dwaeyo?
Can I try these on?

If you need to find the fitting room, ask:

탈의실 어디예요?
taruisil eodiyeyo?
Where is the fitting room?

7. It's Too Big / Too Small

After trying something on, these phrases are useful:

너무 커요.
neomu keoyo.
It's too big.

너무 작아요.
neomu jagayo.
It's too small.

If it fits:

잘 맞아요.
jal majayo.
It fits well.

8. I'm Just Looking

A member of staff may approach you while you are browsing.

If you do not need help yet, say:

괜찮아요. 그냥 볼게요.
gwaenchanayo. geunyang bolgeyo.
I'm okay. I'm just looking.

It is short, polite, and useful when you want to continue browsing on your own.

9. Can You Ask for a Discount?

A common Korean phrase taught in travel guides is:

조금 깎아 주실 수 있어요?
jogeum kkakka jusil su isseoyo?
Could you give me a small discount?

But the situation matters.

At department stores, convenience stores, supermarkets, chain stores, and most shops with clearly fixed prices, bargaining is generally not part of the normal shopping routine.

Negotiation may be possible with some independent sellers or in certain traditional-market situations, but do not assume that every market price is negotiable.

10. Can I Pay by Card?

If you are unsure whether you can use your card, ask:

카드 돼요?
kadeu dwaeyo?
Can I pay by card?

If you want to say that you will pay by card:

카드로 할게요.
kadeuro halgeyo.
I'll pay by card.

Cards are accepted at many shops in Korea, but international travelers should still keep another payment option available in case a particular card or transaction does not work.

11. Do You Need a Receipt?

Receipt in Korean is:

영수증
yeongsujeung

You may hear:

영수증 필요하세요?
yeongsujeung piryo haseyo?
Do you need a receipt?

If you want one:

네, 주세요.
Yes, please.

Or simply:

영수증 주세요.
A receipt, please.

12. Do You Need a Bag?

At checkout, you may also hear:

봉투 필요하세요?
bongtu piryo haseyo?
Do you need a bag?

If you want one:

봉투 주세요.
bongtu juseyo.
A bag, please.

If you do not:

아니요, 괜찮아요.
aniyo, gwaenchanayo.
No, thank you.

13. Tourist Tip: Check for Tax Refund

If you are visiting Korea as an international tourist, look for a Tax Refund or Tax Free sign before or while paying.

Participating stores may offer tax refunds to eligible international visitors when the purchase meets the applicable requirements.

A useful question is:

택스 리펀드 돼요?
taekseu ripeondeu dwaeyo?
Is tax refund available?

You can also ask:

면세 돼요?
myeonse dwaeyo?
Is this tax-free?

The two systems are not exactly the same, so check the store's signs and instructions.

Good to know:

Korea has both duty-free shopping and tax-refund systems. At participating tax-refund stores, eligible purchases of at least ₩15,000 may qualify for a refund. Depending on the store and transaction, the refund may be processed immediately or claimed later. Requirements can change, so check the current rules when you shop.

A Realistic Shopping Conversation

Imagine you find a jacket you like.

You:
이거 얼마예요?
Igeo eolmayeyo?
How much is this?

Staff:
3만 9천 원이에요.
Sam-man gucheon won-ieyo.
It's 39,000 won.

You:
M 사이즈 있어요?
Em saijeu isseoyo?
Do you have size M?

Staff:
네, 있어요.
Ne, isseoyo.
Yes, we do.

You:
입어 봐도 돼요?
Ibeo bwado dwaeyo?
Can I try it on?

Staff:
네. 탈의실은 저쪽에 있어요.
Ne. Taruisireun jeojjoge isseoyo.
Yes. The fitting room is over there.

You:
잘 맞아요. 이거 주세요.
Jal majayo. Igeo juseyo.
It fits well. I'll take this one.

You:
카드로 할게요.
Kadeuro halgeyo.
I'll pay by card.

15 Essential Korean Shopping Phrases

Korean Meaning
이거 얼마예요? How much is this?
이거 주세요. This one, please.
다른 사이즈 있어요? Do you have another size?
M 사이즈 있어요? Do you have size M?
다른 색 있어요? Do you have another color?
입어 봐도 돼요? Can I try this on?
탈의실 어디예요? Where is the fitting room?
너무 커요. It's too big.
너무 작아요. It's too small.
잘 맞아요. It fits well.
그냥 볼게요. I'm just looking.
카드 돼요? Can I pay by card?
카드로 할게요. I'll pay by card.
영수증 주세요. A receipt, please.
택스 리펀드 돼요? Is tax refund available?

Shopping in Korea FAQ

Can tourists use foreign credit cards in Korea?

Foreign credit and debit cards are accepted at many Korean retailers, especially larger shops and major chains. However, it is sensible to carry a backup payment method because successful processing can depend on the card, issuer, terminal, and individual business.

Can I bargain when shopping in Korea?

Usually not at shops with fixed prices, such as department stores, convenience stores, supermarkets, and major chains. Negotiation may be possible with some independent sellers or in certain traditional-market situations, but it should not be expected everywhere.

Can tourists get a tax refund in Korea?

Eligible international visitors can receive tax refunds on qualifying purchases from participating tax-refund stores. Look for a Tax Refund or Tax Free sign and check the current eligibility and purchase requirements.

How do I ask the price in Korean?

Say 이거 얼마예요? (igeo eolmayeyo?) — “How much is this?”

How do I say “I'm just looking” in Korean?

Say 그냥 볼게요 (geunyang bolgeyo). A polite, natural response is 괜찮아요. 그냥 볼게요.

If You Remember Only Five Phrases

You do not need to memorize all 15 before your trip.

Start with these:

1. 이거 얼마예요?
How much is this?

2. 다른 사이즈 있어요?
Do you have another size?

3. 입어 봐도 돼요?
Can I try this on?

4. 이거 주세요.
This one, please.

5. 카드로 할게요.
I'll pay by card.

The Shopping Routine to Remember

Check the price → Ask for size or color → Try it on → Choose → Pay

You do not need perfect Korean to shop in Korea.

A few short, natural phrases are usually much more useful than memorizing a long textbook dialogue.

At Korean For You, that is the goal: learn the Korean you may actually need when real life happens.


Continue Planning Your Korea Trip

Shopping is only one part of navigating everyday life in Korea. Continue with these practical guides: