How to Pay in Korea: Credit Cards, Cash, T-money & Useful Korean for Tourists
How to Pay in Korea: Credit Cards, Cash, T-money & Useful Korean for Tourists
You have finished your meal, walked to the counter, and taken out your credit card.
Then the payment does not go through.
Or perhaps you are standing in front of a subway machine wondering why the card that worked perfectly at your hotel is not working here.
Paying in Korea is usually easy for international visitors, but one important rule makes everything simpler:
Do not rely on only one payment method.
Cards are widely used in Korea, but cash and transportation cards still matter in certain situations.
This guide explains when to use each one, what can go wrong, and the Korean expressions that are actually useful when it is time to pay.
The Short Answer: What Should You Carry?
For most visitors, I would use this combination:
Foreign credit or debit card + some Korean won + T-money or another suitable transportation card
Your card can handle many ordinary purchases.
A small amount of cash gives you a backup when a foreign card does not work or when you need a cash-based service.
A transportation card makes buses and subways much easier.
You do not need to choose only one.
Can You Use a Foreign Credit Card in Korea?
In many situations, yes.
Credit and debit cards are widely used in Korea, particularly at hotels, department stores, convenience stores, restaurants, cafés and larger retail businesses.
However, “cards are widely accepted” does not mean that every foreign card will work at every terminal.
A transaction can occasionally fail because of the card issuer, payment network, terminal, authentication requirement or the particular service you are trying to use.
That is why carrying a second payment option is sensible.
The Most Useful Payment Question in Korean
If you are unsure whether you can pay by card, ask:
카드 돼요?
kadeu dwaeyo?
Can I pay by card?
This is short, natural and extremely useful.
A slightly more complete version is:
카드 결제 돼요?
kadeu gyeolje dwaeyo?
Can I pay by card?
But for a traveler, 카드 돼요? is usually enough.
How to Say “I’ll Pay by Card”
Say:
카드로 할게요.
kadeuro halgeyo.
I'll pay by card.
Or:
카드로 결제할게요.
kadeuro gyeoljehalgeyo.
I'll pay by card.
The first version is shorter and perfectly useful in everyday situations.
Do You Still Need Cash in Korea?
Yes — but probably less than many first-time visitors expect.
For most ordinary shopping and dining, you may use your card frequently.
Still, I would not travel around Korea with no Korean won at all.
Cash can be useful for certain transportation-card transactions, some traditional-market or small-vendor situations, older machines, and as a backup if your foreign card fails.
Think of cash as your backup rather than necessarily your main payment method.
How to Say “Cash” in Korean
The word is:
현금
hyeongeum
cash
To say that you will pay in cash:
현금으로 할게요.
hyeongeumeuro halgeyo.
I'll pay in cash.
Do Not Confuse a Credit Card With a Transportation Card
This is one of the most important distinctions for visitors.
You may successfully use your foreign credit card at a hotel, restaurant or ticket machine.
That does not mean you can simply tap the same card at every subway gate or bus reader.
For ordinary public transportation, visitors commonly use a transportation card such as T-money.
Think of the two cards as having different jobs:
Credit card → shopping, dining and many purchases
Transportation card → subway and bus travel
What About T-money?
T-money is a prepaid transportation card.
You load money onto it and tap it when using eligible public transportation.
It can also be used for some other purchases at participating locations.
But there is an important practical point:
Do not assume that because you have a foreign credit card, you can use that card for every T-money purchase or recharge transaction.
Keep some Korean won available for situations where a transportation-card transaction requires cash.
If you are deciding between T-money and Seoul's Climate Card Tourist Pass, see our separate guide:
T-money vs Climate Card: Which Transportation Card Should Tourists Use in Seoul?
What If Your Credit Card Does Not Work?
First, do not panic.
A failed transaction does not necessarily mean there is anything wrong with your account.
Try another card or payment method if you have one.
You can say:
다른 카드로 할게요.
dareun kadeuro halgeyo.
I'll use another card.
Or:
현금으로 할게요.
hyeongeumeuro halgeyo.
I'll pay in cash.
If a card repeatedly fails, check with your card issuer rather than assuming that every Korean business will have the same problem.
What Might the Cashier Ask You?
One reason payment can feel confusing is that the cashier may ask a question immediately after you present your card.
At ordinary retail stores, you may hear:
영수증 필요하세요?
yeongsujeung piryo haseyo?
Do you need a receipt?
The key word is:
영수증 = receipt
If you want one:
네, 주세요.
Yes, please.
If you do not:
아니요, 괜찮아요.
No, I'm fine.
Another Question: Do You Need a Bag?
You may also hear:
봉투 필요하세요?
bongtu piryo haseyo?
Do you need a bag?
This question is especially useful to recognize at convenience stores and other shops.
If you want a bag:
네, 주세요.
Yes, please.
If you do not:
아니요, 괜찮아요.
No, thank you.
If Korean convenience stores are new to you, our Korean Convenience Store Guide explains the entire routine from 1+1 promotions to microwaves and checkout.
Do You Need to Sign or Enter a PIN?
The exact payment process depends on the card, amount, terminal and card issuer.
Sometimes the transaction is completed immediately.
Sometimes the terminal may require an additional step.
Follow the terminal instructions or the cashier's directions rather than assuming every transaction will work in exactly the same way.
What About Mobile Payments?
Mobile-payment acceptance is not identical everywhere.
Even if a particular wallet or payment service works at one business, do not assume it will work at every terminal you encounter.
For a first trip, I would still carry a physical payment card and some Korean won rather than depending entirely on a phone.
Paying at a Restaurant
One cultural difference can surprise first-time visitors.
At many Korean restaurants, you do not wait at the table for someone to bring a card machine.
Instead, when you are finished, you often walk to the counter near the entrance and pay there.
If you need to ask where to pay:
계산 어디에서 해요?
gyesan eodieseo haeyo?
Where do I pay?
A useful word is:
계산 = payment / bill / checkout
Paying at a Hotel
Your hotel may have already charged you online, may collect payment when you arrive, or may handle payment according to the conditions of your reservation.
If you are unsure whether the room has already been paid for, ask:
결제됐나요?
gyeolje dwaennayo?
Has it been paid?
Our Hotel Check-In Guide for Korea explains the rest of the check-in process, including reservations, passports, luggage, breakfast and Wi-Fi.
Paying for a Taxi
Credit-card payment is widely available in Seoul taxis.
But if you requested the taxi through an app, check whether payment is being processed automatically before paying the driver separately.
If you are unsure, ask:
카드 돼요?
Can I pay by card?
For fares, apps, nighttime surcharges and useful taxi phrases, see:
A Realistic Checkout Conversation
Imagine you have finished shopping at a convenience store.
Cashier:
봉투 필요하세요?
Bongtu piryo haseyo?
Do you need a bag?
You:
아니요, 괜찮아요.
Aniyo, gwaenchanayo.
No, I'm fine.
You:
카드로 할게요.
Kadeuro halgeyo.
I'll pay by card.
Cashier:
영수증 필요하세요?
Yeongsujeung piryo haseyo?
Do you need a receipt?
You:
네, 주세요.
Ne, juseyo.
Yes, please.
That is enough Korean for a normal checkout.
You do not need a complicated conversation.
8 Korean Payment Phrases Worth Saving
| Korean | Meaning |
|---|---|
| 카드 돼요? | Can I pay by card? |
| 카드로 할게요. | I'll pay by card. |
| 현금으로 할게요. | I'll pay in cash. |
| 다른 카드로 할게요. | I'll use another card. |
| 영수증 주세요. | A receipt, please. |
| 봉투 주세요. | A bag, please. |
| 계산 어디에서 해요? | Where do I pay? |
| 결제됐나요? | Has it been paid? |
Payment in Korea FAQ
Can tourists use foreign credit cards in Korea?
Foreign credit and debit cards can be used in many Korean businesses, but acceptance and successful processing are not guaranteed at every terminal or service. Carry a backup payment method.
Should I carry cash in Korea?
Yes. You may not use it often, but some Korean won is useful for transportation-card transactions, certain smaller businesses or machines, and as a backup if your card does not work.
Can I tap my foreign credit card directly on the subway?
Do not assume that a foreign contactless bank card can be used like a normal transportation card at every Korean subway gate or bus reader. Visitors commonly use a transportation card such as T-money or another eligible transit product.
Can I use a credit card in a Korean taxi?
Card payment is widely available in Seoul taxis. If you booked through an app, check whether payment is already being handled through the app before paying again.
What should I say if I want to pay by card?
Say 카드로 할게요 (kadeuro halgeyo) — “I'll pay by card.”
The Payment Routine to Remember
For most visitors, the simplest strategy is:
Use your card → Keep some Korean won → Use a transportation card for transit → Carry a backup payment method
You do not need to understand every Korean payment system before your trip.
You simply need to know that different situations may use different payment methods.
Once you understand that distinction, paying in Korea becomes much easier.
Continue Planning Your Korea Trip
- T-money vs Climate Card: Which Transportation Card Should Tourists Use in Seoul?
- How to Use a Korean Convenience Store
- How to Take a Taxi in Seoul
- How to Check Into a Hotel in Korea
At Korean For You, the goal is simple: understand what you are likely to see, what someone may ask, what Korean words matter, and what you should do next.