How to Visit a Pharmacy in Korea: Medicine, Useful Korean Phrases & Tips for Tourists
How to Visit a Pharmacy in Korea: Medicine, Useful Korean Phrases & Tips for Tourists
Getting sick while traveling is stressful.
It becomes even more stressful when you are in another country and do not know how to explain what is wrong.
If you are visiting Korea, however, you do not need to speak fluent Korean to handle a simple visit to a pharmacy.
You mainly need to know four things:
Find a pharmacy → Explain your symptoms → Mention important medical information → Confirm how to take the medicine
This guide shows you what to expect at a Korean pharmacy, what you may be asked, and the Korean expressions that can make the situation much easier.
What Is a Pharmacy Called in Korean?
The Korean word for pharmacy is:
약국
yakguk
pharmacy
Look for the word 약국 on signs when searching for a pharmacy.
You can find pharmacies near hospitals and clinics, in commercial areas, and around many busy neighborhoods.
Opening hours vary, so do not assume that every pharmacy is open late at night, on Sundays, or on public holidays.
Pharmacy or Convenience Store?
This is an important distinction for first-time visitors.
Some registered convenience stores in Korea sell a limited range of government-designated emergency medicines, including certain pain relievers, cold medicines, digestive medicines, and pain-relief patches.
However, a convenience store is not a pharmacy, and the selection of medicines available there is very limited.
If you need advice about your symptoms, need a medicine that is normally sold through pharmacies, take other medications, have an allergy, or are unsure what you should take, visit a 약국 and speak with a pharmacist.
If you are also wondering how Korean convenience stores work — including 1+1 deals, microwaves, ramen, and common questions at the counter — see our Guide to Using a Korean Convenience Store.
Step 1: Walk In and Explain Your Main Symptom
You do not need a long introduction.
You can simply describe your main symptom.
For example:
머리가 아파요.
meoriga apayo.
I have a headache.
The pharmacist can then ask about your symptoms and help you choose an appropriate over-the-counter product when suitable.
Medicines that require a prescription must be prescribed by a doctor.
Step 2: Learn One Very Useful Symptom Pattern
One Korean pattern can help you describe several common symptoms:
___이/가 아파요.
My ___ hurts.
For example:
머리가 아파요.
meoriga apayo.
I have a headache.
목이 아파요.
mogi apayo.
My throat hurts.
배가 아파요.
baega apayo.
My stomach hurts.
이가 아파요.
iga apayo.
My tooth hurts.
___이/가 아파요.
My ___ hurts.
You do not need to build a complicated sentence. In many situations, naming the body part and adding 아파요 is enough to begin the conversation.
Step 3: Describe Other Common Symptoms
Not every symptom uses 아파요.
Here are several expressions worth saving on your phone:
| Korean | Romanization | Meaning |
|---|---|---|
| 열이 있어요. | yeori isseoyo | I have a fever. |
| 기침이 나요. | gichimi nayo | I have a cough. |
| 콧물이 나요. | konmuri nayo | I have a runny nose. |
| 목이 아파요. | mogi apayo | My throat hurts. |
| 배가 아파요. | baega apayo | My stomach hurts. |
| 설사를 해요. | seolsareul haeyo | I have diarrhea. |
| 속이 안 좋아요. | sogi an joayo | My stomach feels upset / I don't feel well. |
| 알레르기가 있어요. | allereugiga isseoyo | I have an allergy. |
How Do You Say “I Have a Cold” in Korean?
A common expression is:
감기 걸렸어요.
gamgi geollyeosseoyo.
I have a cold.
You can also ask:
감기약 있어요?
gamgiyak isseoyo?
Do you have cold medicine?
If your symptoms are severe, unusual, persistent, or getting worse, however, do not rely only on self-treatment. Seek appropriate medical care.
Step 4: Mention Allergies and Medicines You Already Take
This is more important than memorizing extra Korean vocabulary.
If you have a medication allergy, tell the pharmacist.
약 알레르기가 있어요.
yak allereugiga isseoyo.
I have a medication allergy.
If possible, show the exact name of the medicine or ingredient on your phone.
If you already take medication, bring the package, prescription information, or a clear photo showing the medicine name and dosage.
Accurate information is more important than trying to explain everything from memory.
Step 5: Ask How to Take the Medicine
Once you receive medicine, make sure you understand how to use it.
어떻게 먹어요?
eotteoke meogeoyo?
How do I take it?
You can also ask:
하루에 몇 번 먹어요?
harue myeot beon meogeoyo?
How many times a day should I take it?
You may hear:
하루에 세 번 — three times a day
한 알 — one tablet / pill
식전 — before a meal
식후 — after a meal
If you do not understand the instructions, do not guess. Ask the pharmacist to repeat them, write them down, or show them more clearly.
A Realistic Pharmacy Conversation
Customer:
안녕하세요. 목이 아파요.
Annyeonghaseyo. Mogi apayo.
Hello. My throat hurts.
Pharmacist:
열도 있어요?
Yeoldo isseoyo?
Do you have a fever too?
Customer:
아니요. 열은 없어요. 기침이 조금 나요.
Aniyo. Yeoreun eopseoyo. Gichimi jogeum nayo.
No. I don't have a fever. I have a slight cough.
Customer:
어떻게 먹어요?
Eotteoke meogeoyo?
How do I take it?
Pharmacist:
하루에 세 번, 식후에 드세요.
Harue se beon, sikhue deuseyo.
Take it three times a day after meals.
You do not need to understand every Korean sentence in a pharmacy.
If you can explain the main symptom, share important information such as allergies, and confirm how to use the medicine, you have already handled the most important parts of the conversation.
What If You Do Not Know the Korean Word?
Use your phone.
This is often better than guessing.
You can show:
- the English name of your symptom
- a translation of important medical information
- a photo of medication you normally take
- the name of an active ingredient
- information about an allergy
For medically important information, accuracy matters more than speaking perfect Korean.
What If You Need Your Regular Prescription Medicine?
Do not assume that a prescription issued in another country can be filled directly at a Korean pharmacy.
Prescription requirements, available products, brand names, and controlled-drug rules can differ between countries.
If you need prescription medicine while in Korea, show a doctor or pharmacist the exact name of the medicine, active ingredient, dosage, and any relevant medical information.
If you regularly take an important medicine, plan ahead and check the relevant rules before traveling.
What If the Pharmacy Is Closed?
Pharmacy opening hours vary by location and day.
Do not assume that the nearest pharmacy will be open late at night, on Sunday, or on a public holiday.
If you need medicine outside normal hours, check for an open pharmacy before traveling there.
If you are staying at a hotel, the front desk may also be able to help you locate a nearby pharmacy that is currently open. If this is your first stay in Korea, our Hotel Check-In Guide for Korea also explains useful phrases for check-in, luggage storage, Wi-Fi, breakfast, and common hotel problems.
When a Pharmacy Is Not Enough
A pharmacy can help with many minor health concerns, but it is not a replacement for medical evaluation when you may need urgent or professional care.
If your symptoms are severe, rapidly worsening, or potentially life-threatening, seek appropriate medical care rather than relying only on a pharmacy.
For an emergency in Korea, call:
119
12 Korean Pharmacy Phrases Worth Saving
| Korean | Meaning |
|---|---|
| 약국이 어디예요? | Where is a pharmacy? |
| 머리가 아파요. | I have a headache. |
| 목이 아파요. | My throat hurts. |
| 배가 아파요. | My stomach hurts. |
| 열이 있어요. | I have a fever. |
| 기침이 나요. | I have a cough. |
| 감기약 있어요? | Do you have cold medicine? |
| 약 알레르기가 있어요. | I have a medication allergy. |
| 어떻게 먹어요? | How do I take it? |
| 하루에 몇 번 먹어요? | How many times a day should I take it? |
| 식전에 먹어요? | Do I take it before meals? |
| 식후에 먹어요? | Do I take it after meals? |
Pharmacy in Korea FAQ
What is “pharmacy” in Korean?
Pharmacy is 약국 (yakguk). Look for the word 약국 on the sign.
Do I need to speak Korean at a pharmacy?
Not necessarily. Knowing a few symptom expressions helps, but you can also show written information, translations, medication names, or photos on your phone.
Can I buy medicine at a Korean convenience store?
Some registered convenience stores sell a limited selection of government-designated emergency medicines, including certain pain relievers, cold medicines, digestive medicines, and pain-relief patches. The selection is much more limited than at a pharmacy.
Are pharmacies in Korea open 24 hours?
Do not assume so. Opening hours vary by pharmacy, location, weekday, weekend, and holiday. Check before making a special trip, particularly late at night.
What should I say if I have a headache?
Say 머리가 아파요 (meoriga apayo) — “I have a headache.”
What if I do not understand the medicine instructions?
Ask the pharmacist to explain again or show the instructions in writing. Do not guess how much medicine to take or how often to take it.
If You Remember Only Five Phrases
You do not need to memorize everything in this guide. Save these five:
1. 약국이 어디예요?
Where is a pharmacy?
2. ___이/가 아파요.
My ___ hurts.
3. 약 알레르기가 있어요.
I have a medication allergy.
4. 어떻게 먹어요?
How do I take it?
5. 하루에 몇 번 먹어요?
How many times a day should I take it?
One Simple Routine to Remember
Find 약국 → Explain the symptom → Mention allergies or other medicines → Ask how to take it → Confirm the instructions
You do not need perfect Korean.
You need enough Korean to explain the important information clearly — and enough confidence to ask when you do not understand.
That is the idea behind Korean For You: not memorizing Korean for an imaginary textbook conversation, but learning the words you may actually need when real life happens.
Continue Planning Your Korea Trip
A pharmacy visit is only one of the practical situations you may encounter during a trip. These guides can help with the rest:
- How to Check Into a Hotel in Korea: A First-Time Visitor’s Guide
- How to Use a Korean Convenience Store: 1+1 Deals, Ramen, Microwaves & Useful Korean
- How to Take a Taxi in Seoul: Apps, Fares, Payment & Tips for Tourists
- T-money vs Climate Card: Which Transportation Card Should Tourists Use in Seoul?
At Korean For You, the goal is simple: understand what you are likely to see, what you may be asked, what Korean words matter, and what you should do next.