Where to Stay in Seoul for First-Time Visitors: Myeongdong, Hongdae, Gangnam or Jongno?
Where to Stay in Seoul for First-Time Visitors: Myeongdong, Hongdae, Gangnam or Jongno?
After deciding how to get from Incheon Airport to Seoul, another question usually comes next:
Where should I actually stay in Seoul?
Myeongdong?
Hongdae?
Gangnam?
Somewhere close to the palaces?
When foreign colleagues or friends ask me this question, I rarely give everyone the same answer.
The reason is simple.
Seoul does not really have one perfect downtown area where every visitor should stay.
It is a large city made up of neighborhoods with very different characters.
A hotel that works perfectly for someone visiting Korea with their parents may be completely wrong for a university student who wants cafés, music and late-night restaurants.
So I think there is a better question than:
“What is the best area in Seoul?”
I would ask:
“What kind of Seoul do I want to experience?”
For most first-time visitors, I would begin by comparing four areas:
Myeongdong → Hongdae → Jongno → Gangnam
They are all good choices.
But they are good for different reasons.
If You Want the Simplest First Trip: Myeongdong
Suppose someone told me:
“I am visiting Seoul for the first time. I have four or five days. I want sightseeing, shopping and Korean food, and I do not want transportation to be difficult.”
I would probably tell them to look at Myeongdong first.
Myeongdong is in the central part of Seoul, in Jung-gu.
That puts you in a practical location for many places that first-time visitors are likely to see.
From this part of Seoul, areas such as:
- Namsan and N Seoul Tower
- Namdaemun Market
- Seoul Station
- Gwanghwamun
- the palace area
- Dongdaemun
are relatively easy to reach.
That is why I see Myeongdong as one of the easiest bases for a first trip.
What I Like About Myeongdong
The biggest advantage of Myeongdong is not actually the shopping.
For me, it is the location.
You can visit Gyeongbokgung in the morning, return to your hotel for a break, and then go somewhere completely different in the evening without feeling that you have crossed the entire city.
That matters more than many first-time travelers expect.
Seoul's subway system is excellent, but the city is large.
Saving thirty or forty minutes of unnecessary travel each day can make a short trip much more enjoyable.
Myeongdong also has plenty of restaurants, cafés, shops and convenience stores.
For someone who has just arrived in Korea and is still getting used to transportation, payment and the language, that convenience can be reassuring.
If Seoul's subway still feels unfamiliar, read our How to Use the Seoul Subway: A First-Time Visitor's Guide.
The Weakness of Myeongdong
I would not automatically recommend Myeongdong to everyone.
It is a very visitor-oriented part of the city.
If your main goal is to see quieter residential Seoul, independent cafés, university culture or neighborhood life, I would probably choose somewhere else.
This is how I think about Myeongdong:
It is an excellent base, but it does not have to be your entire Seoul experience.
You can sleep there and spend your days exploring completely different neighborhoods.
If You Want a Younger and More Energetic Seoul: Hongdae
Hongdae feels very different from Myeongdong.
The name comes from Hongik University, or:
홍익대학교
Hongik Daehakgyo
The surrounding area has long been associated with university culture, art, music, cafés, fashion and nightlife.
If Myeongdong feels like somewhere many people come to visit, Hongdae often feels like somewhere people are simply out living their evening.
You see students meeting friends.
People wait outside restaurants.
Cafés stay busy into the evening.
Music comes from streets and buildings.
There is always movement.
For some visitors, this is exactly the Seoul they imagined before coming to Korea.
Who I Would Recommend Hongdae To
I would seriously consider Hongdae if you:
- are traveling alone or as a couple
- enjoy cafés and restaurants
- want a younger atmosphere
- plan to stay out later in the evening
- are interested in music, fashion or contemporary Korean culture
- want convenient access from Incheon Airport
That final point is particularly useful.
The AREX All-Stop Train connects Incheon Airport with Hongik University Station.
If your accommodation is close to the station, you may be able to reach the neighborhood directly without first traveling to Seoul Station.
I explained the different airport options in our Incheon Airport to Seoul: AREX, Bus or Taxi? guide.
One Thing I Would Check Before Booking in Hongdae
Do not book a hotel simply because the listing says:
“Hongdae.”
Look at the exact location.
A hotel can be two minutes from Hongik University Station.
Another hotel can still advertise itself as being in the Hongdae area but require a much longer walk.
That difference matters when you are carrying a suitcase.
On a screen, 700 or 800 metres does not look far.
After an overnight flight, with luggage and unfamiliar streets, it can feel very different.
The Weakness of Hongdae
Hongdae can be busy.
And parts of it can be noisy.
If you want very quiet evenings, are traveling with older parents, or are mainly interested in historical Seoul, it may not be my first choice.
That does not mean Hongdae is only for young travelers.
It simply means that the character of the neighborhood should match the kind of trip you want.
If Korean History Is Why You Came: Jongno
For some people, Seoul means skyscrapers, shopping and K-pop.
For others, Seoul means:
- Gyeongbokgung Palace
- Bukchon
- Insadong
- hanok houses
- traditional tea
- museums
- old streets beside modern buildings
If that second list sounds more like your trip, I would look seriously at Jongno.
Jongno sits in the historic heart of Seoul.
Gyeongbokgung, Gwanghwamun, Insadong and Bukchon are all associated with this central historic area.
What I like about this part of Seoul is the contrast.
You can walk beside a palace wall and then, a few minutes later, find yourself on a busy modern street.
That mixture of old and new is one of the things I find most interesting about Seoul.
Jongno Is Not Just One Small Neighborhood
When I say “stay in Jongno,” I do not mean that every part of Jongno feels the same.
Areas around Gwanghwamun, Jongno, Insadong and Anguk have somewhat different atmospheres.
For a first-time visitor who is especially interested in Korean history and traditional culture, I personally like the idea of staying around Insadong or Anguk.
This is an area where I would recommend walking.
Do not simply go from one famous place to another.
Walk through smaller streets.
Stop for coffee.
Look at the buildings.
Sometimes the part between two attractions is more memorable than the attraction itself.
Who I Would Recommend Jongno To
I would look here if you:
- want palaces and traditional Seoul close by
- enjoy walking
- prefer culture and history to nightlife
- are traveling with parents
- like museums, galleries and traditional streets
- want a central location without choosing Myeongdong
There is something pleasant about leaving your hotel in the morning and already being in the part of Seoul you came to see.
The Weakness of Jongno
If your trip is mainly about Hongdae nightlife, Gangnam, K-pop shopping or places south of the Han River, you may spend more time traveling.
Some parts of the area also become noticeably quieter in the evening than Hongdae.
Personally, I do not see that as a disadvantage.
But another traveler might.
If You Want Modern Seoul: Gangnam
Gangnam is one of the few Seoul place names that many international visitors already know before they arrive in Korea.
But I think this sometimes creates the wrong expectation.
Gangnam is south of the Han River.
Many of Seoul's famous historical attractions are north of the river.
So if your first trip is mainly about Gyeongbokgung, Bukchon, Insadong, Namdaemun and traditional Seoul, I would not automatically choose Gangnam simply because the name is famous.
On the other hand, if your trip is focused on:
- COEX
- large shopping complexes
- modern business districts
- Gangnam nightlife
- Apgujeong and Sinsa
- Jamsil
then staying south of the river can make much more sense.
Gangnam Is Excellent for the Right Trip
I often travel for conferences and academic meetings, so this is an easy example for me.
If someone has a conference at COEX for three or four days, I would not tell them to stay in Jongno simply because Jongno feels more historical.
That would create unnecessary travel every morning and evening.
Likewise, if someone has come primarily to see the palaces and traditional neighborhoods, I would not automatically put them in Gangnam.
The best hotel location is the one that reduces unnecessary travel for your itinerary.
This sounds obvious.
But many people choose a neighborhood first and only later decide what they actually want to do.
I would reverse that order.
So Which Area Would I Actually Choose?
If someone were making their first four- or five-day trip to Seoul and had no strong preference, I would probably start by looking at:
Myeongdong or Jongno.
Not because they are objectively better.
They simply make many classic first-time Seoul itineraries easier.
If that person told me:
“I care much more about cafés, restaurants, music and what Seoul feels like at night than palaces.”
I would probably say:
Look at Hongdae.
If they were coming for a conference at COEX:
Gangnam.
The answer changes when the traveler changes.
That is how it should be.
Do Not Choose a Hotel by Neighborhood Name Alone
There is one practical point that I think matters almost as much as the neighborhood itself.
Check the walking route between:
Your hotel and the nearest useful subway station.
Do not look only at the distance.
Look at the actual route.
Check whether there are major roads, hills or complicated station exits.
Think about whether you will be carrying luggage.
A very good hotel ten minutes from a station may be less convenient for your trip than a slightly simpler hotel two minutes from the correct subway entrance.
In Seoul, I often think the station matters almost as much as the hotel.
If you plan to use public transportation every day, our T-money Card in Korea Guide and Seoul Subway Guide will help.
Save Your Hotel Address in Korean
Once you book your hotel, save its Korean name and address on your phone.
You may never need it.
But if you take a taxi and the driver does not recognize the English hotel name, showing the Korean address is much easier.
One useful Korean sentence is:
여기로 가 주세요.
Yeogiro ga juseyo.
Please take me here.
Show the address while saying it.
You do not need a long conversation.
For more practical advice, read our How to Take a Taxi in Seoul: A First-Time Visitor's Guide.
Common Questions About Where to Stay in Seoul
Is Myeongdong the best place for a first-time visitor?
It is one of the easiest choices because of its central location and access to many major sightseeing areas. However, Hongdae or Jongno may suit you better depending on your interests.
Is Hongdae too noisy to stay in?
Some streets can stay lively late into the evening. If noise matters to you, check the exact hotel location and recent guest reviews rather than judging the entire neighborhood.
Is Gangnam far from Seoul's main tourist attractions?
It depends on what you consider a main attraction. Gangnam is convenient for southern Seoul, while many historical sights such as Gyeongbokgung, Bukchon and Insadong are north of the Han River.
Is Jongno good for families?
Yes. It can be an excellent choice for families and travelers interested in palaces, museums, traditional culture and walking.
Should I stay near Seoul Station?
Seoul Station can be very convenient, especially if you are using AREX or taking trains to other Korean cities. I would still compare the exact location and atmosphere with Myeongdong and Jongno before booking.
How close should my hotel be to a subway station?
There is no perfect distance. Personally, for a sightseeing trip, I value being able to walk comfortably to a useful subway station, especially when I have luggage or expect to return late in the evening.
The Neighborhood Becomes Part of Your Trip
There is something travelers often realize only after they have spent a few days in Seoul.
Your hotel is not simply where you sleep.
The neighborhood around it becomes part of your memory of Korea.
If you stay in Hongdae, you may remember people still talking outside cafés when you return at night.
In Jongno, it may be a quiet morning walk beside a palace wall.
In Myeongdong, it may be walking downstairs and immediately finding food, shops and people everywhere.
In Gangnam, it may be the scale and speed of modern Seoul.
None of these is the one “real Seoul.”
They are all Seoul.
That is why I would not spend too much time searching for the neighborhood that everyone online says is best.
Think about the trip you are actually planning.
Then choose the part of Seoul that makes that trip easier.
In my experience, that is usually the better decision.
Continue Planning Your First Trip to Korea
- Incheon Airport to Seoul: AREX, Bus or Taxi?
- How to Use the Seoul Subway: A First-Time Visitor's Guide
- T-money Card in Korea: How to Buy, Recharge, and Use It Like a Local
- How to Take a Taxi in Seoul: A First-Time Visitor's Guide
Next guide: How to Read Korean Menus: Essential Words Every Traveler Should Know